The Interview Meme: how to play
- Leave me a comment saying "interview me." The first five commenters will be the participants.
- I will respond by asking you five questions.
- You will update your blog/site with the answers to the questions.
- You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
- When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions. (Write your own questions or borrow some.)
My questions are from Timothy, someone I've known in real life since 1993.
1. What one misconception about depressive illness in Christians annoys you the most and how would you educate someone with such a misconception?
The misconception that having clinical depression is your own fault (i.e "You filthy rotten sinner, you!") and you can snap out of it anytime you like. That's two misconceptions, but they go together a lot. I'd point out the chemical basis of depression, the fact that antidepressants can help a whole lot of people, how neurochemistry works, and go the logic route. It's not possible to positive-think your way out of a brain chemistry issue.
2. What tools do you use for blogging and why do you think they are better than other tools available to do the job?
I use WordPress (version 1.5) because it's highly nifty. I wanted something server-based and tweakable, and I know enough PHP to get things done. Plugin support rocks, the new anti-spam tools are good, and WordPress is free. What's not to like? I used a PC-based tool for a long time (Blog), and it was OK but didn't do syndication. That's what pushed me to WordPress. Nucleus was an option for a while, but WordPress has better features. Post in the future, as evidenced by this and the following post, is wonderful.
3. When are you going to finish the never-ending sweater? Do you have any pictures of current progress?
I'm working on it. I have the back, one sleeve, and half the front done. I never specified which anniversary I'd finish it for.
4. What one blog do you read on a regular basis that people who read your blog might be surprised about?
The Watchtower of Destruction: The Ferrett's Journal, introduced to me by Mr Bristow.
5. If you had done the interview meme before me and I had responded, what would have been one of your five questions?
Why did you take up knitting?