I am very rarely without either my handbag, or the day bag I take to work, or a laptop bag. If I'm going to a karate group class, I'm carrying just the essentials plus whatever part of my uniform I need to change into (because the full uniform makes me look like a hippo, it's that unflattering). Planning for going out of town for almost a week I'm thinking what I can pare it down to.
- Watch. Totally lost without this.
- Cell phone.
- Wallet. Usually containing some cash, always containing the green card which I am obligated to carry at all times.
- Lip balm. I have no idea how many of these I've lost, laundered, and used up.
- Photon II microlight on my key chain. Beyond useful, beyond essential, cannot function without this.
Extended everyday carry
All of the above, slotted into my handbag, plus:
- Pill pot containing Advil and Zantac
- Band aids
- The fossilised shark tooth Rox and Eric found on the beach near their house in Maryland and gave me when I left after visiting in 2007
- Make-up (lip liner, lipstick, lip gloss pencil)
- Business cards
- Leatherman Micro. Includes a knife, scissors, and screwdriver. Purchased in Nashville TN in 1997 with Lara
- Pen. Currently a Cross Ion, with a backup ballpoint pen.
- Notebook. Love the small lined Moleskines, but not the soft cover. The hard cover was way better for a portable book.
- A travel pack of Kleenex.
- Hand-spun handknit silk glasses cleaning cloth
- Eye drops
- Hair bands. My cat will steal these if she gets the chance
Definitely set up for random scribbling at any time. The day bag includes my 8Gb USB thumb drive, Seraphim shawl for when the office is cold, and duplicates of most of the handbag stuff.