This is the first non-accessory garment I have knit entirely on my own. I had help from my mother to make the two cardigans and two sweaters I produced in the 1990s. I've knit plenty of socks, hats, shawls, and scarves since then, but no garments. Until now:
This project zoomed happily along until it got to the point where I had to pick up stitches. 187 stitches to be exact, which was only 3 off the multiple of six I needed once you added in the non-picked-up stitches. I needed nagging by a friend to get to it because picking up stitches is something I feel I do badly. I avoid top-down socks unless I really want a hemmed top because it requires picking up stitches at the heel.
After a couple of lace repeats, it started looking more like a real shrug and less like a loose pillowcase. I did the final lace repeat sat in the basement listening to the tornado sirens in yet another St Louis storm. Doing the sleeves required more picking up of stitches, and I did more than the pattern said to make sure it wasn't too tight.
I changed the arms to use 2x2 ribbing instead of 1x1 twisted rib because I prefer the look, and made them slightly longer, two inches of plain and one of ribbing. I used a k2tog tbl cast off to make sure the ends would be stretchy. I'm intending to wear this with tank tops and sleeveless dresses.
Wore it to work on a "shorts casual" dress code week over a tank and got several compliments.